Pretty Poisonous Plants

Image of a bird of paradise flower.

We all enjoy flowers, whether in a vase in our house or in our gardens. We enjoy the multitude of bright colors and the fragrant odor they give us. But there can be a dangerous aspect to some of our favorite plants. The list of poisonous plants is very long, but this will give you information about some of the more common flowers and ornamental plants.

Lilies are common as cut flowers and in landscaping. They are toxic to cats, but fortunately not to dogs or horses. All parts of the plant can cause kidney problems. A cat that walks through a garden of lilies, then ingests the pollen as it grooms its fur, can develop severe kidney problems.

Azaleas are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, mental dullness, cardiovascular depression, collapse, and death. Even eating a few leaves can cause serious problems.

Bird of Paradise is among one of the most beautiful flowers, but it can be toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. The fruits and seeds can cause vomiting and drowsiness.

Begonias, especially the tubers, are toxic to dogs and cats. They can cause oral irritation. This can progress to swelling of the mouth, lips, and tongue, causing drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

All parts of the castor bean plant are toxic, but the seeds contain the highest concentration of ricin, one of the most poisonous compounds known. This affects horses, cats, and dogs. Symptoms are mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, seizures, and death. Signs usually start 12 to 48 hours after ingestion.

Chrysanthemums are toxic to horses, dogs, and cats. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, inability to walk properly, and even skin problems.

Hibiscus can cause a loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea in cats, dogs, or horses that ingest it.

Oleander is very toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. It has toxins that can cause a low heart rate, heart failure, and death. It is possible to also see vomiting and diarrhea.
There are several ornamental plants that contain cardiac glycosides. Plants such as clematis and foxglove can affect dogs, cats and horses to cause weakness, heart failure, drooling, and death.

There are hundreds of other plants that can be toxic. For more information on any toxic plants, consult with your veterinarian. Simple precautions can keep your pets safe and healthy.

Source:

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

8:00 am

5:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am

6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am

5:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am

6:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am

5:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am

12:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Our furry family has been cared for by the Mann Clinic since 1980. From routine annual exams to life saving surgeries, Dr Angelos and his team have always been there, through good and difficult times. Their care is thorough and conscientious. They patiently answer my questions, guide important decisions, give advice and do it all with calmness and compassion."
    Megan Walsh - Sanford, ME
  • "Our family has been using Mann Clinic for our pet care for over 25 years. We generally see Dr. Angelos, but we have been very happy with all of the veterinarians and services provided. We have dealt with various health issues with our large pet family, and rely on, and trust the advice, and care of the veterinarians there. The staff is always helpful and courteous."
    Lisa and Gerry A. Lyman, Maine
  • "Dr Christ Angelos and his staff at Mann Memorial Clinic have been attending to the needs of my pets for over 15 years. I find the staff to be excellent providers of care and both routine and serious medical intervention for our pets. They are professional, accommodating, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend this clinic and continue to be thankful for their wonderful care of my pets."
    Julia Burns Riley
  • "Every single person I met that day - the doctors, nurses and staff were so gentle and so kind. They let me show my grief without making me feel like I was so foolish for caring so much. Again - THANK YOU for the tears and hugs and for understanding."
    The Boyce Family